Ovulation is the release of eggs from the ovaries. Once this egg is released, it is ready for fertilization by sperm. The lining of the uterus thickens in preparation for the fertilized egg. If no conception occurs, the lining of the uterus as well as blood will be shed. Thus shedding is known as menstruation.
Are you trying to get pregnant but your periods irregular? Asides being healthy, intercourse at the perfect time is a necessity. How do you know “the perfect time”? You need to understand your cycle a in particular.
Ovulation and Fertility Window
Your fertile window is the five days before Ovulation through to the day of Ovulation.
Therefore, your fertile window is six days. During these days, your chances of getting pregnant are high. The probability of pregnancy rises steadily until the two days before and including the day of this process occurring . After this, the probability of pregnancy decreases rapidly and pregnancy during that cycle becomes difficult or impossible. If you don’t know when you ovulate or how to track your ovulation, here are a few tips:
- Calculate the length of your average menstrual cycle. Day one of your menstrual cycle is the first day of the menstrual period and the last day of that menstrual cycle is the day before the next period begins.
- Ovulation occurs about two weeks before the next expected period. So, if your average menstrual cycle is 28 days, you would ovulate around the 14th day of your cycle.
- Recall that the ‘fertile window’ is the five days leading up to and including , making a total of six days.
- The three days leading up to and including ovulation are the most fertile. Depending on your cycle length the most fertile days in the cycle varies:
- If you have 28 days between periods this occurrence typically happens on day 14, and the most fertile days are days 12, 13, and 14.
- If you have a longer cycle, say 35 days between periods, ovulation happens on day 21 and the most fertile days are days 19, 20, and 21.
- If you have a shorter cycle, say 21 days between periods, ovulation happens on day 7 and the most fertile days are days 5, 6, and 7. And so on…
So… Just follow these tips, calculate your Ovulation, take note of your fertility window, and make love on the perfect day … And a baby might just come soon….